Projects & Programs

Awards Program

The Tennessee Federation of Garden Clubs, Inc., organizes a dynamic awards program for its membership.

The purpose of the awards program is to recognize the achievement of an individual, a club, or group of clubs that further the goals and objectives of Tennessee Federation of Garden Clubs, Inc., the Deep South Region, and National Garden Clubs, Inc.

Blue Star Memorials

The Blue & Gold Star Memorials Program honors all men and women that serve in the United States Armed Services. This program began with the planting of 8,000 Dogwood trees by the New Jersey Council of Garden Clubs in 1944 as a living memorial to veterans of World War II. In 1945, the National Council of State Garden Clubs adopted this program and began a Blue Star Highway system that covers thousands of miles across the Continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. A large metal Blue Star Memorial Highway Marker was placed at appropriate locations along the way.

Endowment
Trust Fund

In 1996, Tennessee’s bicentennial year, TFGC established an Endowment Trust Fund. The mission of the Endowment Trust is to help our organization flourish and thrive, now and in the future.

The principal is invested and at least 10 percent of the growth of the fund is retained and added to the principal. The other 90 percent is distributed to garden clubs as matching grants for club projects.

Plant America

In order to provide a vehicle to financially support the activities of our member clubs, a new grant program entitled “Plant America Community Project Grants” is being established to provide funding for new or existing projects of NGC member clubs in their respective communities across the United States. This will be a permanent fund with grants being awarded during each two-year administration. The goal for the fund is to become a self-sustaining endowment fund like the NGC Scholarship fund providing funding levels that make a significant impact in large projects.

Penny Pines

NGC and the USDA Forest Service are proud to have formed a partnership sustaining our national and urban forests through this reforestation/forest education program.

National Garden Week

 

Join NGC clubs across the country and celebrate National Garden Week, the first full week in June. Promote the NGC objectives of beautification, education of environmental efforts, gardening, and involvement of Garden Clubs in your community. This week is an opportunity to encourage pride in your community, interest new members, and work with other groups to be part of those efforts.

Scholarships

 

TFGC is proud of its scholarship program, which offers financial aid to students and promotes study in:

  • Agriculture Education
  • Agronomy
  • Botany
  • City Planning (rural and urban)
  • Economics
  • Environmental Concerns (management: environmental, horticulture resource or environmental behavior)
  • Environmental Conservation (including engineering, law)
  • Floriculture
  • Forestry
  • Habitat or Forest/Systems Ecology
  • Horticulture (including fruit science, environmental, communications)
  • Land Management or related subjects
  • Landscape Design
  • Plant Pathology or Science
  • Wildlife Science

Applicants must major in one of these fields of study. The TFGC Scholarship committee must grant approval for an application to be made in any major other than the ones listed.

X